This past week, we finished our final birthing class session. I wasn’t sure what to expect when we first started but looking back, it was a great experience I hope every expecting parent is able to participate in. It was fun to see how much bigger each mother looked every week we met up. I think the ultimate goal of the class was to go over every scenario that may come up during labor and the post partum days. If you are a worrier, you may be put off by all the “worst case scenarios” they presented to the class, but as the instructor said, since this was a hospital, they had a responsibility to tell the potential patients what may occur so parents are prepared and not caught off guard.
I also felt they did a good job gearing it towards what the dad may go through and not just the mother. I feel more comfortable about everything having gone through the class though not 100% ready, but whoever is?
Most people might think that seeing the birthing videos or hearing about potential health issues for the baby may be the scariest part of the class, but for me (and Emily) it was the tour we took around the Mother/Child Ward. Seeing the delivery room and then the recovery room made it all so real for us. Emily commented that the rooms felt cold and lifeless and though that may be true, it’s the patients that bring warmth to these sterile environments.
I think the biggest benefit to attending these classes is seeing other young people struggling with the same thoughts and fears we have. Seeing that what we are experiencing is universal is reassuring though I’m sure none of those parents will be anywhere near the parents Em and I will be!
As we enter the final weeks till the big day, I am starting to focus and try to picture life at home with a young one. It’s the little daily things I am thinking about, like what do you do with the baby when you have to go to the bathroom? Mostly though, I am daydreaming eagerly about interacting with my son or daughter, taking them places, exposing them to music and books that I love, and introducing them to all our close friends.
Though we are entering uncertain times, the strong relationship Em and I have will get us through everything and hopefully show our child how a healthy marriage works.
haha, i think you say goodbye to the days when you went to the bathroom alone.
ReplyDelete